Friday, February 4, 2011

Refurbishing an Old Computer Cabinet


IN January, my desktop PC that I have been using without issue for at least 2 years finally burned out a hard drive. It was a compact design and I came to realize that the case did not allow for adequate airflow around the hard drive. This is what killed it. The drive was hitting temperatures in excess of 50 degrees Celsius.

I set up another system temporarily to take it's place until I could set up a nice new permanent one. The unit I am using now is an older Dell system that is a tad bit slower than the one I was using before. At least it has excellent airflow. However, this old Dell has always been a bit flaky at best and tends to lock up randomly or glitch every now and again. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working at it's best. But, it's an old 2.7 ghz machine and it's not very cooperative when it comes to upgrading and such.

Since I have a few old computer cases in the garage and a lot of very decent spare parts, I am going to attempt to build myself a much nicer and much more cooperative system. I decided that since I was building from the ground up, I would take my time and even customize the computer case itself into something much more original. So far, I have just spray painted the shell and the outer casing of the cabinet. I think it is going to turn out really good when I complete it.

The photo of the inner casing (the yellow part) did not take very well with the first coat of paint I gave it. There was something wrong with the paint itself. I have long since fixed that but I don't have a new photo yet. This will definitely be an ongoing project so I will update you as I go.





2012-10-20 - Update: This computer never really worked out aesthetically and it found it's way into the recycling bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment