Friday, February 4, 2011

The Gramophone Project Part Two

Well, it's been a very rough winter in Edmonton this year. I managed to get my garage insulated before the winter snow began to fly and even installed a couple of temporary space heaters. ON a good day, they keep the garage at a 10 degree Celcius level which is okay, at best. Keeps things warm and the paint and solvents from freezing. At different points of December, I had to bring two different vehicles into the garage for various repairs and oil changes. Being covered in snow and crud, they would drop all the crud on the floor and flood the garage with water. Because of the low temperature, it would take a week to fully dry out again. Not to mention that the garage is very sealed so moisture doesn't escape easily.

So, I was a bit delayed on getting any work done in there. I didn't really want to use power tools while standing in a pool of water. Not to mention that paint, stain or glue would not dry very fast in a damp environment. I also couldn't keep any projects on my floor, especially wood as the moisture would definitely ruin them.

So, with the garage dried out and no cars to deal with, I have finally had a little time to get some new work done. You can probably tell from my recent blog posts. I finally managed to completely disassemble the gramophone and see what was still good and what wasn't. I also started assembling the basic frame for the new cabinet. I originally thought that this project was going to be a complete rebuild with all new wood. However, I am now realizing that much of the larger pieces of wood are in much better shape than originally assessed. I even started to sand down some of the main parts to see how bad the water damage was to the wood. So far, it appears that the legs are still solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment